Thursday, November 18, 2010

What I've been doing outside of work.

Really, not much.

In these last few weeks before I return to Minnesota, I have been working a ton in an attempt to finish a project, start a paper, wrap up things so I can leave them for two months and get things set for my return in January. Needless to say, this has been a tall order, but I'm making steady progress. I'm out of the lab now and mostly working on writing a paper. Yay!

Getting all of this work done now will mean that my time in Minnesota can be spent writing a paper instead of in the lab, with more ability to focus on moving and seeing all of my dear family and friends before I leave again. Somewhat luckily, the weather hasn't been that great, so working more (including weekends) hasn't been as terrible a fate as it could have been.

However, last weekend I was able to take the weekend to see my dear friend Aurore in Strasbourg. She is a professor at the University of Strasbourg. It was so nice to hang out with her and to just relax for a weekend. We slept in, walked around Strasbourg for most of the day, cooked delicious meals together, watched movies, and generally had a lovely time. I also got to see her labs and university- I always think it is interesting to compare labs and universities between countries... The weather was super nice, and we even had a picnic outside in short sleeves on Sunday (right after Minneapolis got hit with a foot of snow...).

One of the funniest things of the weekend was that there was a Switzerland fair set up in the main square of Strasbourg, complete with alp horns and fondue! It was to promote winter tourism to Switzerland, and I found it funny that I couldn't even leave Switzerland behind for one weekend.
Welcome to the Switzerland fair!



This is my last week here (for now), and mostly life is going to be a whirlwind of packing and organizing and taking care of those little details that always come up. I am looking forward to going home and seeing my family, but I am also looking forward to my return here.

Picnic outside!



Strasbourg cathedral.

Strasbourg.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Love the pictures! Thanks for the update. We've all been wondering what you're up to...

See you next month! Lee

Sue said...

I'm glad you finished your lab work, but you still found time to see your good friend, Aurore.

I especially like the picture of the alp horns.

See you soon! Love, Aunt Sue

Liz said...

I especially LOVE the picture of you and Aurore! It made me smile. :) And of course the horns and skiing! Counting the days...