Sunday, March 6, 2011

On crossing the Röstigraben.

This weekend I crossed the Röstigraben for the first time! So much excitement ensued! (The Röstigraben is basically an imaginary line dividing the German-speaking and French-speaking parts of Switzerland. Although the line is imaginary, the difference is definitely not.)

On Saturday given the promise of good-ish weather, I decided to take a trip to Neuchâtel. Neuchâtel has a reputation for being the most "French" city in all of French-speaking Switzerland, so I thought it would be interesting. It is a beautiful little city with a very French style of architecture. I enjoyed wandering around and seeing the Chateau of Neuchâtel, the old churches, the Saturday markets, the Port and Lake Neuchâtel.





















The lake was probably my favorite part. Probably since I am from Minnesota, the "Land of 10,000 Lakes", lakes and water are just in my blood. I love the fresh smell of the water and the wind, the sound of the waves and the birds, the ever-changing moods of the water, and the unique rock formations. There was a really nice Promenade along the lake which I enjoyed walking along, and to me it felt the most like "home" of anywhere I have been.









Of course, then I went into a little cafe for a coffee and was reminded of how different it really is. The woman who helped me was about my age, so I assumed that she might speak English. Definitely not. I then asked her if she spoke German, which she said she did. So we proceeded to have a conversation in which I attempted to speak German and she responded in French. Somehow it worked, and I did get my coffee. I love how my typical week here involves English (of course), learning German, interpreting manuals in Italian, conversing with someone who is speaking French, and listening to Spanish.

3 comments:

Ken n Ginny McMillan said...

Hey, Sarah! Wish I were closer to have a cup of coffee with you and to take the promenade at the lake! I loved the Christmas letter from the Pages with all your activities. You remain often and my thoughts and prayers!
Love, Ginny McMillan, yes, surprise, it's me!

Sue said...

Cool photos! The promenade along the lake looks gorgeous. I love the photo of the swan. :)

All those language! What an experience!

Unknown said...

Your posts are never-fail captivating. Hearing about and seeing Neuchatel highlights was especially enjoyable. Our local friends introduced us to Walder for the best, most exceptional chocolate. Walder has only one shop and it's in Neuchatel. Check it out if you haven't done so already! And, keep on with your adventure-seeking questing. Joan Barnett