Friday, November 4, 2011

Notes from my American radar.

As an American in Zürich, I am acutely aware of the fact that I don't really fit in. I am making progress at blending in, but I still look undeniably American. I enjoy observing people as I make my way around the city, and my ability to spot other Americans is quite good. I actually really enjoy seeing how Americans respond to Switzerland, since I remember being new here and what it was like.

Yesterday, I spotted a couple waiting for the tram, and I just knew that they were American. They got on the tram and were definitely speaking English with American accents. Score one for me!

In the evening, I was out in the center of the city with some friends and spotted two middle-aged men who looked American. They entered a cross-walk, spotted some cars approaching and immediately broke into a run across the street. (Cars have to stop for pedestrians in cross-walks here. In fact, if you're even sort of near a cross-walk, often cars stop on the chance that you want to cross.) All of the other people crossing the street just looked at them confusedly and continued walking at a normal pace. As the guys reached the other side of the street, I overheard one say to the other, "The cars must have to stop. I just don't understand!" My friends and I just giggled. Oh, Americans...

1 comment:

Liz said...

On the flip side, a while ago I walked confidently into a crosswalk in front of rather busy traffic in downtown Two Harbors, much to the amazement and horror of my friend, Gina, and other passers by. She also heard these folks, who were still waiting on the sidewalk, ask if I was from New York or something!